Tony Gee and Partners is currently recruiting for a Highways Director to take a leading role in the Birmingham office.
The Highways Director will lead the established Highways team in our Birmingham office, taking accountability for the management, performance, and growth of that team. Supported by our Business Development team, the role will focus on seeking, securing, and delivering consultancy work within the highways sector.
Delivery will be supported by in-post experienced Associates and Associate Directors, each taking responsibility for their own projects but reporting to the Highways Director. The successful candidate will take a significant role in the development of Tony Gee’s Highway Sector business in the midlands region as well as supporting the development of business across the UK led by other regional Highways Directors.
The successful candidate will work alongside the Directors and Technical Specialists throughout Tony Gee to deliver a wide variety of highways sector works including major UK trunk road improvements, new bypass and link road schemes, access roads to developments and re-alignments associated with bridge replacements and the like.
In addition to a sound technical grounding within the highway sector, the candidate must possess excellent leadership, communication, and interpersonal skills. We are looking for a genuine team builder who can use the array of fantastic work Tony Gee undertakes to motivate and enthuse our staff whilst maintaining and growing our excellent industry reputation with our ever-growing client base.
The role requires the candidate to act represent the Highways Sector within office and region through close engagement with Regional Director and Head of Highways.
As Sector Director the candidate will take ultimate responsibility for the punctual delivery of projects to high quality standards in addition to achieving financial targets; the candidate must therefore possess effective managerial experience and technical expertise to impart such on those managing projects under their direction.
- Seeking and securing new work (through tender processes) with existing client
- Developing Tony Gee’s relationship with existing clients
- Develop new client relationships and identify potential new work streams aligning with strategic sector objectives set by Head of Highways
- Undertaking the role of Project Director
- The day-to-day management, direction and training of the staff whilst undertaking your project work
- Preparing fee budgets, proposals and resource requirements for projects under your control
- Managing the preparation of calculations, drawings and other documents and ensuring these are controlled during the execution of projects under your control
- Identifying and managing risks for the work under your control to agreed acceptable levels.
- Co-ordinating with other engineers both in the regional offices and between technical groups
- Responsible for coordinating with Head of Sector
- Responsible for coordinating with other Sector Directors within Birmingham Highways Team with regards resource management
- Responsible for local work winning within Sector
- Responsible for local project delivery within Sector
- Responsible for ensuring Birmingham Highways Team Projects comply with Sector specific requirements (Safety, Quality, Sustainability, Digital)
- Working knowledge of DMRB and d etailed design experience on trunk road scheme
- Experience of Design and build, Alignment design , Drainage design, Pavement design and Road restraint design . Understanding of related highway disciplines preferred, including inter-alia, pavements, traffic signs, markings, road restraint systems
- CEng + MICE and/or MIHT
Why Work for Tony Gee?
We are an engineering consultancy renowned for delivering complex and innovative design solutions to the global construction industry. Our people make our business a success and so we invest in your development and wellbeing providing an environment that supports you at whatever career level you are at.
We believe that there is more to a job than work. We encourage a healthy work/life balance through a wide range of social activity groups. They’re great fun and a chance to expand your professional and social networks. We also offer the opportunity of a hybrid work model where you can split your working week between the office and your home.
Cycle to work scheme
Employee assistance programme
Eye care vouchers
Flexible annual leave allowance
Flexible working hours
Fundraising & volunteering opportunities
Generous company pension contributions
Group income protection
Private medical insurance
10 Temple Street
Birmingham, B2 5BN
Remote UK positions available.
To apply for this role, please fill out this form, ensuring you have included the job reference and uploaded your CV. STRICTLY NO AGENCIES. Tony Gee and Partners LLP is an Equal Opportunities employer and is fully committed to equality and diversity in the workplace.
Highways Director – Birmingham